Publications from the Shikanov Lab
58. Hormonal Stimulation of Human Ovarian Xenografts in Mice: Studying Folliculogenesis, Activation, and Oocyte Maturation. Wall, M. A., Padmanabhan V, Shikanov, A. Endocrinology, Volume 161, Issue 12, December 2020, bqaa194, https://doi.org/10.1210/endocr/bqaa194*
57. Ovarian Tissue Cryopreservation and Novel Bioengineering Approaches for Fertility Preservation. Jones A.S.K., Shikanov A. Current Breast Cancer Reports 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12609-020-00390-z
56. The ovarian stroma as a new frontier. Kinnear HM, Tomaszewski CE, Chang FL, Moravek MB, Xu M, Padmanabhan V, Shikanov A. Reproduction 2020; 160 (3)
* This article was highlighted by the Editorial Board at the top 10 most viewed articles published this past year @ReprodJournal
Correia HHV, Lima LF, Sousa FGC, Ferreira ACA, Cadenas J, Paes VM, Alves BG, Shikanov A, Figueiredo JR. Reprod Domest Anim. 2020 Jan;55(1):105-109.
doi: 10.1111/rda.13582. Epub 2019 Nov 27. PMID: 31661715
54. Immuno-Isolating Dual Poly (ethylene glycol) Capsule Prevents Cancer Cells from Spreading Following Mouse Ovarian Tissue Auto-Transplantation. Day JR, David A, Long C, Bushnell GG, Woodruff TK, Shea LD, Shikanov A.
53.Encapsulation of ovarian allograft precludes immune rejection and promotes restoration of endocrine function in immune-competent ovariectomized mice. Day JR, David A, Barbosa MGM, Brunette MA, Cascalho M, Shikanov A.
Sci Rep. 2019 Nov 12;9(1):16614. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-53075-8.
52. A mouse model to investigate the impact of testosterone therapy on reproduction in transgender men. Kinnear HM, Constance ES, David A, Marsh EE, Padmanabhan V, Shikanov A, Moravek MB. Hum Reprod. 2019 Oct 2;34(10):2009-2017. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dez177. PMID: 31585007
51. Adipose-derived stem cell-secreted promote survival, growth and maturation of early-stage murine follicles, Lisa J. Green, Hong Zhou, Vasantha Padmanabhan and Ariella Shikanov, Stem Cell Research & Therapy, 2019.
50. Adipose-derived stem cell-secreted factors promote early stage follicle development in a biomimetic matrix, Claire E. Tomaszewski, Elizabeth Constance, Melissa M. Lemke, Hong Zhou, Vasantha Padmanabhan, Kelly B. Arnold and Ariella Shikanov, Biomaterials Science, 2019
49. Follicle development as an orchestrated signaling network in a 3D organoid. Andrea S. K. Jones, Ariella Shikanov. Journal of Biological Engineering, 2019, 13:2.
48. Rapid Mouse Follicle Stimulating Hormone Quantification and Estrus Cycle Analysis Using an Automated Microfluidic Chemiluminescent ELISA System, Xiaotian Tan, Anu David, James Day, Haoyue Tang, Emily Rose Dixon, Hongbo Zhu, Yu-Cheng Chen, Maung Kyaw, Khaing Oo, Ariella Shikanov, Xudong Fan. ACS Sensors, October 2018.
47. Synergy of Paracrine Signaling During Early-Stage Mouse Ovarian Follicle Development In Vitro. Zhou H, Decker JT, Lemke MM, Tomaszewski CE, Shea LD, Arnold KB, Shikanov A.
Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, October 2018.
46. Secondary lymphoid organ fibroblastic reticular cells mediate trans-infection of HIV-1 via CD44-hyaluronan interactions. Murakami T, Kim J, Li Y, Green GE, Shikanov A, Ono A. Nature Communications. 2018
45. Three-dimensional Hydrogel-Based Culture to Study the Effects of Toxicants on Ovarian Follicles. Zhou H, Shikanov A.
Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1758:55-7244.
44. Synthetic PEG Hydrogel for Engineering the Environment of Ovarian Follicles.Mendez U, Zhou H, Shikanov A.
Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1758:115-128.
43. Retrievable hydrogels for ovarian follicle transplantation and oocyte collection. Rios PD, Kniazeva E, Lee HC, Xiao S, Oakes RS, Saito E, Jeruss JS, Shikanov A, Woodruff TK, Shea LD.
Biotechnol Bioeng. 2018 Apr 28. doi: 10.1002/bit.26721.
42. Detection of lindane and 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]antracene toxicity at low concentrations in a three-dimensional ovarian follicle culture system, Zhou H, Young CJ, Loch-Caruso R, Shikanov A.
Reproductive toxicology, 2018
41. Immunoisolating poly(ethylene glycol) based capsules support ovarian tissue survival to restore endocrine function. Day JR, David A, Cichon AL, Kulkarni T, Cascalho, M. and Shikanov A. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. , January 2018.
40. The impact of functional groups of poly(ethylene glycol) macromers on the physical properties of photo-polymerized hydrogels and the local inflammatory response in the host, Day JR, David A, Kim J, Farkash EA, Cascalho M, Milasinovic N, Shikanov A.
Acta Biomaterialia, 2017.
39. Fertility Preservation in 2016: Where Are We? David A, Green LJ, Shikanov A. Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, Vol.35, No. 2/2017, pp. 160-166.
38. Restoring Ovarian Endocrine function with Encapsulated Ovarian Allograft in Immune Competent Mice. David A, Day JR, Cichon AL, Lefferts A, Cascalho M, Shikanov A. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2017.
37. The artificial ovary: current status and future perspectives.Amorim CA, Shikanov A. Future Oncology, 2016.
36. Synthetic hydrogel supports the function and regeneration of artificial ovarian tissue in mice. Kim J, Perez AS, Claflin J, David A, Zhou H, Shikanov A.
npj Regenerative Medicine, 2016.
Carrion B, Souzanchi MF, Wang VT, Tiruchinapally G, Shikanov A, Putnam AJ, Coleman RM. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2016.
David A, Day JR, Shikanov A. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 2016.
Green LJ, Shikanov A. The Theriogenology, 2016.
32. Characterization of the crosslinking kinetics of multi-arm poly(ethylene glycol) hydrogels formed via Michael-type addition. Kim J, Kong YP, Niedzielski SM, Singh RK, Putnam AJ, Shikanov A. Soft Matter, 2016.
31. Hydrogel Based 3-Dimensional (3D) System for Toxicity and High-Throughput (HTP) Analysis for Cultured Murine Ovarian Follicles. Zhou H, Malik MA, Arab A, Hill MT, Shikanov A. PLoS One, 2015.
30. Characterizing natural hydrogel for reconstruction of three-dimensional lymphoid stromal network to model T-cell interactions. Kim J, Wu B, Niedzielski SM, Hill MT, Coleman RM, Ono A, Shikanov A. J Biomed Mater Res A, 2015.
Shea LD, Woodruff TK, Shikanov A. Annu Rev Biomed Eng, 2013.
*The 2014 review “Bioengineering the Ovarian Follicle Microenvironment” was highlighted on the Global Medical Discovery webpage.
28. Simple multi-level microchannel fabrication by pseudo-grayscale backside diffused light lithography. Lai D, Labuz JM, Kim J, Luker GD, Shikanov A, Takayama S.
RSC Advances, 2013.
PUBLICATIONS FROM SHEA LAB -
27. Fibrin-mediated delivery of an ovarian follicle pool in a mouse model of infertility. Smith RM*, Shikanov A*, Kniazeva E, Ramadurai D, Woodruff T, Shea LD.
Tissue Eng Part A, 2014.
26. The impact of adhesion peptides within hydrogels on the phenotype and signaling of normal and cancerous mammary epithelial cells. Weiss MS, Bernabé BP, Shikanov A, Bluver DA, Mui MD, Shin S, Broadbelt LJ, Shea LD.
25. Hydrogel design for supporting neurite outgrowth and promoting gene delivery to maximize neurite extension. Shepard JA, Stevans AC, Holland S, Wang CE, Shikanov A, Shea LD.
Biotechnol Bioeng, 2012.
24. Fibrin Encapsulation and VEGF Delivery Promotes Ovarian Graft Survival in Mice, Shikanov A, Zhang J, Xu M, Smith RM, Rajan A, Woodruff TK, Shea LD,
Tissue Eng Part A, 2011. LINK
23. Gene therapy vectors with enhanced transfection based on hydrogels modified with affinity peptides. Shepard JA, Wesson PJ, Wang CE, Stevans AC, Holland SJ, Shikanov A, Grzybowski BA, Shea LD.
22. A Method for Ovarian Follicle Encapsulation and Culture in a Proteolytically Degradable 3 Dimensional System, Shikanov A, Xu M, Woodruff TK, Shea LD,
Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE), 2011.
21. Hydrogel network design using multifunctional macromers to coordinate tissue maturation in ovarian follicle culture, Shikanov A*, Smith RM*, Xu M, Woodruff TK, Shea LD, (* equal contribution)
20. In vitro Oocyte Maturation and Preantral Follicle Culture from the Luteal Phase Baboon Ovary Produce Mature Oocyte, Xu M, Fazleabas AT, Shikanov A, Jackson E, Barrett SL, Hirshefeld-Cytron J, Kiesewetter SE, Shea LD, Woodruff TK,
Biol Reprod, 2010.
19. Balancing cell migration with matrix degradation enhances gene delivery to cells cultured three dimensionally within hydrogels, Shepard JA, Huang A, Shikanov A, Shea LD,
J Control Release, 2010.
18. A novel two-step strategy for in-vitro culture of early stage ovarian follicles in the mouse, Jin SY, Lei L, Shikanov A, Shea LD, Woodruff TK,
Fertil Steril, 2010.
17. Interpenetrating Fibrin-Alginate matrices for in vitro Ovarian Follicle Development, Shikanov A, Xu M, Woodruff TK, Shea LD,
16. Fibrin hydrogels for non-viral vector delivery in vitro, dex Rieux A, Shikanov A, Shea LD,
J Control Release, 2009.
PUBLICATIONS FROM DOMB LAB
15. Cisplatin tumor biodistribution and efficacy after intratumoral injection of a biodegradable extended release implant, Shikanov A, Shikanov S, Vaisman B, Golenser J, Domb AJ,
Chem Res Practice, 2011.
14. Poly(sebacic acid co-ricinoleic acid) biodegradable carrier for intratumoral delivery of paclitaxel, J Biomed Mater Res,Shikanov A, Vaisman B, Shikanov S, DombAJ,
13.Local controlled delivery of anti-neoplastic RNAse to the brain, Slager J, Tyler B, Shikanov A, Domb AJ, Shogen K, Sidransky D, Brem H, Pharm Res, 2009.
12. Intratumoral delivery of paclitaxel for treatment of orthotopic prostate cancer, Shikanov S, Shikanov A, Gofrit O, Nyska A, Corn B, Domb AJ, J Pharm Sci, 2009.
11. Paclitaxel tumor biodistribution and efficacy after intratumoral injection of a biodegradable extended release implant,Shikanov A, Shikanov S, Vaisman B, Golenser J, Domb AJ,
Int J Pharm, 2008.
10.The isolation of ricinoleic acid from castor oil by salt-solubility-based fractionation for the biopharmaceutical applications, Vaisman B, Shikanov A, Domb AJ,
J Am Oil Chem Society, 2008.
9. Long acting local anesthetic-polymer formulation to prolong the effect of analgesia,Shikanov A, Domb AJ, Weiniger CF,
J Control Release, 2007.
8. Poly(sebacic acid-co-ricinoleic acid) biodegradable injectable in situ gelling polymer Shikanov A, Domb AJ, ,
7. Poly(sebacic acid-co-ricinoleic acid) biodegradable carrier for paclitaxel – effect of additives, Shikanov A, Ezra A, Domb AJ,
J Control Release, 2005.
6. Normal phase high performance liquid chromatography for determination of paclitaxel incorporated in a lipophilic polymer matrix, Vaisman B, Shikanov A, Domb AJ,
J Chrom A, 2005.
5. Biodegradable polymers: An update, Shikanov A, Kumar N, Domb, AJ.
Isr J Chemistry, 2005. Review.
4. Poly(sebacic acid-co-ricinoleic acid)biodegradable carrier for paclitaxel: In vitro release and in vivo toxicity, Shikanov A, Vaisman B, Krasko MY, Nyska A, Domb AJ,
3. Intravenous and regional paclitaxel formulations, Pawar R, Shikanov A, Vaisman B, Domb AJ,
Curr Med Chem, 2004. Review.
2. Poly(ester anhydride)s prepared by the insertion of ricinoleic acid into poly(sebacic acid), Krasko MY, Shikanov A, Ezra A, Domb AJ,
J Polym Sci Part A – Polymer Chemistry, 2003.
1.Polylactones 57. Biodegradable networks based on A-B-A triblock segments containing poly(ethylene glycol)s-syntheses and drug release properties, Kricheldorf HR, Fechner B, Shikanov A, Domb AJ,
Dr. Ariella Shikanov speaks at the 2019 Oncofertility Conference about new models of Ovarian Regeneration.
University of Michigan's Ariella Shikanov describes her focus in developing functional and tunable hydrogels for reproductive tissue engineering. Presented on March 27, 2017.